- Goal of the challenge was to receive innovative uses for the Tracking Network data from CDC’s application programming interface to explore the connections between the environment and health
- Required to reach, incentivize, and enable software developers to build data products on top of NEHT’s API.
- Needed to communicate the importance of connecting health data and environmental data for the purpose of actionable insights.
- Distribute the full-throttle API token upon request.
- Low developer awareness meant outreach had to first educate and then engage the solver community.
- Developed incentive design, challenge architecture, prize rules, brand identity, custom responsive challenge website, entry form, and evaluation criteria.
- Managed end-to-end challenge operations including challenge launch, virtual webinars, judge onboarding, and submission management.
- Rapid prototyped 5 data visualization and analysis tools selecting the top 3 solutions to win $30,00 in prizes.
- Winning teams, Healthy Local, HealthyEnviron, and Sol_Air, pioneered new use cases and best practices in environmental health data visualization providing rich analytics and actionable insights related to asthma, heart disease, and pulmonary disease, open for public use.